Thursday, June 2, 2011

all settled in.

well...
it's offical.
i am currently living in the 10016.
new york that is.
it still feels like a dream, but i am here, and loving it!
after about 2 months of trying to figure out my living arrangements, wiring money back and forth, via email and phone, my parents and i were all extremely relieved to say the least, when we arrived saturday to find a REAL apartment, with no extra surprises.
housing here is far different than what we are use to.
size, price, features, ect. it's rather hilarious actually.
so here it is.
this would be the lovely view off my little ghetto balcony :)
the bathroom.
my GINORMOUS kitchen. haha.
the bed.
it's basically a hotel type of room/studio apartment.
its literally 50 seconds walking distance from my internship. which is perfect. i don't know how i lucked out so well! its in a great part of town, close to so many things. i haven't really met any of my neighbors.. which is probably a good thing.
however, i do think this may be an entire apartment building of men besides myself, i have yet to see another girl here.. haha
new york is such a great place. i didn't think i would, but i honest to gosh feel safe here. there are a lot of things that definitely take some getting use to.
LIKE..
firstly.
HUMIDITY.
will my hair look like this forever?
A FEW OTHER THINGS...
it seriously is never ever quiet.
the noise &constant sirens.
(as weird as it sounds, its actually calming? ya weird i know.)
people are always out & about.
(sidenote: haha a couple in the apartment building next to me have been sitting under my window, they don't know i can hear them, but anyways the past 2 nights they have been talking til like 3 in the morning discussing some SERIOUS wedding plans. i hope they got things figured out last night because i don't know if i can handle another night listening to them.)
people are ALWAYS in such a hurry here.
you can seriously tell the true new yorkers apart from the tourists.
especially when you're waiting to cross the street.
the food is amazinggggg.
seriously.
if in august when i get home, i weigh like 300 lbs, don't be surprised because i have yet to eat a meal that i didn't like. :)
this blog post is getting super long and i still have a load of stuff to say..
sunday i went to my new singles ward.
the ratio is hilarious. there is about 30 girls and 10 boys, one of which wore a pair of spandex khaki shorts to church. you should have seen the look on my mothers face. priceless.
my church is a good 30 blocks from my apartment, makes me realize how lucky i have been to have a meeting house so close to my house my whole life.
monday & tuesday: hung out with my parents before the left me by my lonesome. bless their hearts.
my dad & i in central park on memorial day. its sooo pretty there.
wednesday. i started my internship.
seriously. i love love love it.
couldn't have asked to work with such a great crew.
in katie's office there are 5 other ladies, including a french bulldog, elouise.
very relaxed, yet organized environment.
i even have my own desk, complete with a phone and computer. haha.
we share the 11th floor with katie's husband, who is an architect.
he has around 40 architects that work for him. everyone has been so extremely friendly to me and helping me out so much.
on my first day they basically gave me a tour, and then i started sorting fabrics to return to vendors.
today.
our driver, tyreague drove me up to the D&D, which is basically heaven on earth to any designer. its an 18 floor building. every floor is lined with multiple vendors. they have fabric samples and showrooms set up. SO SO NEAT. it took me a good 2 hours to return all the samples, sounds tiring, but seriously it was so fun. i also went antique shopping for some lighting with the senior designer, susannah, which was a way cool experience. then i hopped onto the subway and headed back to the office to finish up some sorting and making new bins for new clients on a current project were working on.
i'm exhausted.
now its the weekend, i don't work fridays. love it. :)
everything...
so far, so good.

3 comments:

  1. i love this. so much. please update often. looks like a ball. love you lish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having a ball Lish! So happy it's all going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! What happened to having a roommate?? Glad your safe and glad you're so close to your internship! You amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete