Thursday, June 16, 2011

mission organization

MISSION organization
so this weeks project
was to FINISH organizing the materials library.
about 80 bins (give or take a few)
filled with around 150-200 pieces of fabric samples per bin..
all sorted by color and/or pattern.
all new labels.
(my eyes kept playing tricks on me. i'd look away from the fabric, but i'd still be seeing patterns.)
the picture above is the final product of
to say the least,
a lot of folding.
three walls of shelves just like this.
i've got to say it looks SO good now.
walking into the office isn't quite so overwhelming.
katie was SO happy.
thursday she had a photoshoot for her new book and
she asked to have her pictures taken in front of my lovely bins and wallpaper display.
i was flattered. :)
so.
in november, when her book is published,
ya'll can see
her nice clean organized office in the background.
this week i got to take quite a few field trips with the senior designer.
we went to a place called 1st dibs.
its a whole level of a building, seperated into about 40 booths, strictly dedicated to antique vendors. most of the furniture katie uses on projects are antiques. so i got to help pick out a few for a current project.
this week i have been using excel alot to do spread sheets for purchase orders and proposals. i never realized just HOW MUCH goes into design projects. you have to stay so organized and put a lot of thought into all the things that happen before you get to the actual design phase. crazy stuff.
meet eloise.
my classy co-worker.
she is so funny.
she just prances around the office.
today however,
she stole my chair.
she wouldn't move.
it was hilarious.
last night, all of us ladies walked the brooklyn bridge.
its definitely one of my favorite places.
SO pretty to see the city lit up at night.
its always so funny when all of us girls meet up.
a) there's 9 of us. so its like this huge cluster.
b) we are never quiet. especially on the subway.
c) most of the time, we're the only white girls.
random thoughts about this week:
1. i wish i spoke a second language.
i don't care which one,
i just want people to think i'm foreign sometimes. haha.
or actually i just wish i had an accent.
that would be fine too.
2. dad this one is for you.
i know how concerned you were when you left me here, about me getting lost.
because let's be honest. i have no sense of direction.
(sidenote: i kept getting confused when he told me how to get places. so we came up with ways for me to remember where to go. example: go RIGHT to work. when you have no food LEFT, go LEFT. hahahaha. oh my gosh now that i am writing this i understand why he just kept shaking his head at me when i'd ask where to go...)
BUT
some tourist's on the street today asked me for directions
AND
(drumroll)
i ACTUALLY knew how to point them in the right direction.
i know my way around this crazy city now. yay!
3. advice: any man, in any van, is just creepy.
4. there are good people out there.
random stranger
thank you
for letting me use metro card last night,
when mine wouldn't work, and i started to panic!
5. as much as i love it here, i miss the mountains. and grass. and land.
6. i could eat new york pizza for every meal, every day. i love it, i love it, i love it.
7. i've beat my bad habit of biting my nails.
ha only because i'm terrified of germs in this city.
i wash my hands non stop.
but hey at least now i have super long nails. thats the first.
8. happy birthday to my dear friend regan.
you're birthday was wednesday. thanks for being my bestie.
you're everything a friend should be and so much more.
we've laughed, we've cried, sometimes we've laughed so hard we've cried.
you're always up as late as me, always there to listen.
we creep me out sometimes, when we text each other at the same time,
or do the same thing at the same time.
our jokes are stupid, but im glad you understand them.
can't wait to see you're sweet face in august.
love you.
and lastly...
it honestly amazes me,
i know i've said this before, but seriously time flies like no other here.
sometimes i just walk around and feel like it isn't real and that it's a dream haha.
i'm entering week number 4. how crazy is that?
i've already learned so much, not only about the design industry, but also about myself.
i've come to appreciate a lot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment