Thursday, June 9, 2011

week two.

a few highlights
from
week 2
one:
i have a new found love for "to do" lists.
i love the feeling as you cross off the very last thing.
two:
one word.
SKYPE
where have you been all my life?
seriously, it amazes me how i can talk to my friends
face to face
and be SOO far away. i love love love it.
thank you technology.
three:
being from idaho.
i love how people live in the united states their whole life,
but have no idea where idaho is.
example a:
jr designer: "oh you're from idaho?"
me: "yes!"
jr designer: "so i bet alot of your friends go to notre dame because you are so close to the campus."
me:"uhh..isn't notre dame in ohio?"
jr designer: "ya, thats pretty close to idaho isn't it?"
(she was dead serious, i kid you not.)
example b:
one of the secrateries: "oh you're from idaho? thats like one of those forgotten states that no one really knows about. what's it even shaped like?"
me: (i just bust out laughing.)
example c:
so i had to run and pick up a package from a vendor and they see that im the new intern,
which then leads to the usual question,
where are you from?
i say idaho.
these two older men that work there just randomly burst out in song.
like literally the full on song & dance.
they sing this song to me called "private idaho"
i honest to gosh had never even heard the song until then.
but i guess B-52's sing it. (the people that sing love shack)
anyways,
it was hilarious.
i'm sure my face was every shade of red.
and thats fine...
so now whenever i go to a pick up a package
i'm warmly welcomed & greeted by one of the following:
"oh well look its little miss idaho"
"did you bring us wild potatoes?"
i can't wait to hear what witty thing they come up with next..
four:
our office's book keeper is from ukraine.
i just love her. one of the nicest ladies you will ever meet.
she is so funny.
most of the day i just find myself standing there, chuckling.
why?
because after every phrase she says,
she ends the sentence with the word $#!t.
except since she has an accent, she pronounces it "shickt!"
i really really need to work on controlling my laughter,
but i just can.not.help.it!
five:
so those who know me well, know that for the most part i will eat just about anything. i am always hungry and am TOTALLY up for trying new things. so as part of my internship, the sr. designer said that one of her goals for me was to make my internship a "cultural experience." and she has done a very good job at doing that. on monday she took me to a middle eastern deli because she needed to pick up some kind of herb. anyways while we were there it was lunch time and she said that i needed to try this appetizer that was up at the counter. she said everyone in the office just loved them. what was it? stuffed grape leaves. when she first said it, i was like ok this can't be too bad. so as im eating it, a few different flavors are rushing through my mouth. i don't know exactly what it tasted like, but my final verdict is that it tasted like a cross between apricots and pickles? but had the consistency of rice? haha anyways, it wasn't horrible, but definitely not my favorite. so she then preceeded to ask me what i thought of it. being nice, i said that it was way good.
well ya, that bit me in the butt, because the next day i come back to the office after running errands and low and behold, she had bought me an entire platter of them for lunch because i had loved them so much. haha lets just say it wasn't as easy as the day prior, six are a lot harder to get down, rather than just one sample.
six:
yesterday we took a morning field trip to 28th street. on wednesdays and saturdays the have a fresh flower market. SO SO COOL. and it smells divine. i have never seen so many flowers in my life. i loved it. there were ladies from elle and vogue getting flowers to arrange for photo shoots. kind of cool.
seven:
today i was just minding my own business, working away at my computer working on some things. as im sitting there in my own little world, a rather classy dashing fellow stumbles into our office. he looks around and asks, "do any of you have a pair of scissors i can borrow?" i grab a pair and hand them to him, thinking nothing of it. as soon as he leaves the office, the senior designer was like,
"OH MY GOSH LISHA DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THAT WAS?"
i reply, "uhh no?"
"THAT WAS THE STEVEN GAMBREL!"
me,"SHUT UP, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"
anyways steven is kind of a big deal.
(a very well-known architect/interior design) so after he returned the scissors and left the office. it became a joke. basically anyone that entered the office was told that steven borrowed my scissors. sooo funny. :)
eight:
i have yet to be extremely scared while being here. (knock on wood.) however, the other night i was watching tv, the usual, law & order. i watch it all the time, no big deal right? WRONG! so there i am sitting there watching it, and then one of the detectives says... and i quote,
"the shooting took place in midtown, somewhere near 30th street..."
ok, i about wet my pants.
why you ask?
because I LIVE IN MIDTOWN ON 30TH STREET.
hahaha, so ya i know the show is fake and it was on tv.
needless to say,
i changed the channel quickly.
anyways.
its been a good week. still loving it here.
bring on the weekend.
ps. steven gambrel borrowed my scissors :) :) :)

2 comments:

  1. So everytime I read your blog I feel like I am right there in New York with you. You are such an amazing writer. Haha! Anyways, maybe you should start looking at pictures of famous people, so when you are actually face to face with them you will know who they are! haha! Love ya Lish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. You're descriptions are flawless and make me want to go to New York. Keep the posts coming so I can live vicariously through you this summer ;). Glad you're still safe! Keep Law and Order on TV

    ReplyDelete